ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Limerick
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineeringPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/12/2019 12:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIreland › Limerick
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
The purpose of this job is to oversee and conduct structural mechanics research into composite material structures and their components. The successful candidate will provide technical expertise and direction to the day-to-day activities of all VARICOMP researchers. The successful candidate will also lead on seeking funding opportunities and writing proposals. The successful candidate will also work as part of a larger team within VARICOMP guiding on experimental and design work.
Based in the enviable new composite laboratories at University of Limerick, VARICOMP aims to take advantage of both spatially and temporally variable composite material properties for structural applications. This multimillion Euro project will grow to a team of more than 20 researchers within a couple of years. The equipment and facilities at University of Limerick represent state-of-the art composite materials manufacturing and characterisation capabilities. We aim to attract ambitious researchers with different yet complementary skills to include composites manufacture (e.g. advanced fibre placement and automatic tape placement) and structural mechanics skills (solids mechanics, energy methods, and finite element analysis), programming skills as well as structural design skills.
CONTRACT TYPE: Specific Purpose
SALARY SCALE: €66,559 - €71,429 p.a. pro rata
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: PhD or equivalentComputer science: PhD or equivalentPhysics: PhD or equivalent
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property (IP) and commercialisation processes.
- Extensive experience in writing papers.
- Knowledge of engineering design and component manufacturing processes.
- Project management experience.
- Willingness to work with industrial partners and research collaborators.
- A doctoral degree (level 10 NFQ) in engineering, materials science, physics or mathematics, relevant to modelling of composites.
- At least five years postdoctoral experience.
- Strong mathematical modelling techniques associated with finite element analysis development and Rayleigh-Ritz techniques.
- Expert working knowledge of Matlab (or similar) and finite element analysis.
- Expert knowledge of fibre-reinforced composite materials.
- Self-directed and prepared to take initiative.
- Experience of working in teams.
- Demonstrable experience of managing multi-partner projects.
- Demonstrates a strong publication record.
- Demonstrable expertise in optimisation methods.
- Demonstrable expertise with Automated Fibre Placement manufacturing techniques.
- Experience in the manufacturer of composite material structural components.
- Evidence of PhD supervision.
Please include the following information in your application:
- Full title of PhD thesis.
- Full list of publications including web links to publications.
EURAXESS offer ID: 464744
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.