Icelandic language and culture
Icelandic is the official language of Iceland and is used almost exclusively in all areas of daily life. The majority of Icelanders do however speak more than one language, with the most common second language being English. The number of schools offering Icelandic lessons has been steadily growing in recent years and many of them are listed below.
Throughout the country you can enjoy diverse cultural activities, ranging from national heritage to popular Icelandic music bands, the fine arts, the symphony or something out of the ordinary.
Here is a list of schools currently offering courses in Icelandic as a second language. As the schools are always changing and improving their programs, it is a good idea to call each school to find which course is best for you.
There is often a fee to register for classes, please make sure to inquire about any fees before applying. Please note that if there are fees you may be eligible for discounts or reimbursements e.g. from your Icelandic trade union.
The Multicultural Centre has the fundamental role of facilitating communications between individuals of different backgrounds, and to enhance the services provided to foreign citizens residing in Iceland and to those interested in moving to Iceland.
Below you can find links to various culturally related activities and websites in Iceland.
Here are several links that are helpful to browse through if you want to know about cultural activities and / or cultural networks in Iceland.
- Multicultural and information centre
- Menningarmiðstöðin Múltíkúltí
- Multicultural council of Reykjavík
- Brasilíufélagið á Íslandi /Associação de Brasileiros na Islandia
- Félag frönskumælandi á Íslandi / Association des Francophones d'Islande
- Félag Kínverja á Íslandi / Association of Chinese in Iceland
- Komunitas Indonesia di Islandia (Félag Indónesíska á Íslandi)
- The Association Iceland-Palestine
- Félag Litháa á Íslandi / Islandijos Lietuviu Bendrupmené
- Félag Nýrra Íslendinga (Society of New Icelanders- SONI)
- AFPI - Associação de Falantes de Português na Islândia
- Félagið Tékkneska á Íslandi
- Hola félag spænskumælandi á Íslandi
- Icelands international parents - facebook
- Italiani d'Islanda
- Kalak- vinafélag Grænlands og Íslands
- Mother tongue – assotiacion on bilingualism
- Philippines-Iceland Association – PHIL-ICE
- Samtök kvenna af erlendum uppruna (W.O.M.E.N)
- Ungir pólverjar á Íslandi – Project Polska
- Sænska félagið á Íslandi / Svenska foreningen
- Vináttufélag Íslands og Kúbu (VÍK)