ORGANISATION NAMEa.r.t.e.s. Graduate School for the Humanities Cologne, University of Cologne
CAREER STAGEFirst Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)
a.r.t.e.s. EUmanities is a pioneering programme at the a.r.t.e.s. Graduate School for the Humanities Cologne, co-funded by the European Union and the University of Cologne as part of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (Horizon 2020). Central to this programme are its interdisciplinary approach and obligatory mobility phase.
Starting in April 2018, a.r.t.e.s. EUmanities will provide 10 Early Stage Researcher (ESR) fellowships, training young scholars to excel in research and cope with the global challenges Europe is facing. Our mission is to empower ESRs in the Humanities to become aware of their pivotal role in shaping the future of Europe.
ESR positions will have a duration of 36 months per person. ESRs will be enrolled in the structured doctoral model of the a.r.t.e.s. Graduate School, the "Integrated Track", according to two completely new international mobility options. ESRs may apply for:
- "a.r.t.e.s. EU": mobility phase in up to two European countries (duration: 12 months)
- "a.r.t.e.s. global": mobility phase out of Europe (duration: at least 18 months)
Eligible are candidates who meet the following criteria at the Recruitment Day (i.e. 29 November, 2017 as the first day of the selection procedure and hereby the effective date for the eligibility criteria "ESR eligibility" and "MSCA mobility rule"):
(1) “ESR eligibility criteria”: An Early Stage Researcher (ESR) is a researcher who is in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of her/his research career at the Recruitment Day and has not been awarded a doctoral degree.
(2) “MSCA mobility rule”: Depending on the chosen funding line the applicants have to prove that they have not lived for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately preceding the Recruitment Day in Germany (for the funding line “a.r.t.e.s. EU”) or in the respective country out of Europe (for the funding line “a.r.t.e.s. global”)
(3) Moreover, applicants need to have obtained a qualified Master’s degree or a comparable university degree in a thematically relevant research field of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and a minimum grade of 2.0 (according to the German grading system) of this degree.
ESR positions will have a duration of 36 months per person. The ESRs will be employed full-time (living allowance of 3,073 EUR per month less tax deductions and employer’s contribution to social insurance plus mobility, travel and optional family allowances). Please note that, in general, the a.r.t.e.s. Graduate School is not able to cover tuition fees for the institution chosen for the obligatory mobility phase.
To get further information on the programme a.r.t.e.s. EUmanities, on eligibility criteria and application requirements please visit our website www.artes.uni-koeln.de or contact artes-EUmanities@uni-koeln.de.