ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Limerick
RESEARCH FIELDCommunication sciencesComputer scienceEngineering
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE17/12/2019 12:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIreland › Limerick
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
The University of Limerick, as part of the Confirm centre, wishes to appoint a Post Doctoral Researcher to our industry partner supported research programme in Wireless Production Lines, to enable our manufacturing vision and to transform and grow our industry partner’s manufacturing research base.
Confirm is the Science Foundation Ireland Research Centre for smart manufacturing, (www.confirm.ie). The centre was launched in 2017 and includes 10 academic partner institutions (UL, UCC, CIT, NUIG, AIT, LIT, NUI Maynooth, IT Tralee and Tyndall National Institute) and over 40 industrial partners. Confirm focuses on manufacturing research at a systems level: data is taken from discrete production processes using bespoke sensors, manufacturing data analytics is used to extract relevant data to drive predictive models, and algorithms of production are used in order to make smart decisions to be fed back to the machine controllers and robots. This is all implemented through secure ICT software loops linking the systems. This research programme focuses on applications to the Wireless Production Line Systems aspects to this overall mission.
The ideal candidate will be a strong researcher in this multi-disciplinary field and have a demonstrable track record of delivering high quality research, (industry engagement, test bed development and operations, publications, patents, etc.), in the digitalisation of manufacturing systems, including in the area of Wireless system within a manufacturing environment. This positions the industry partner as a highly responsive and agile solutions provider within a more customer centric marketplace.
The candidate will undertake the development of wireless technologies that should be deployed in a manufacturing environment towards the end goal of finding the optimal system for the wireless production floor. The project will focus on the development of a wireless communication testbed suitable for M2M communications in manufacturing environments, their interoperability with backbone wired infrastructure, communication standardisation, wireless sensors/actuators suitable for identified use cases, and Wireless Power and Energy harvesting techniques suitable to identified use cases. key attributes will be the scalability, latency, speeds, bandwidth, susceptibility to interference, inter-operability and price. Knowledge of current communications protocols with a manufacturing environment and a telecommunications environment will be required.
The project whilst focusing on the development of a wireless platform for a digital factory, will require a broader knowledge foundation that should include strong programming skills as well knowledge of computer virtualisation, cloud interfacing and data management.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: PhD or equivalent
- Experience of managing and conducting research and development projects as well as a shown competency in publishing research, intellect property creation and report writing.
- Strong academic publication record.
- Demonstrable knowledge of cloud computing architectures e.g. Azure, AWS or similar.
- Evidence of liaising with industry and delivering industry focused R&D.
- Awareness of the importance of intellectual property management and protection.
- Demonstrable knowledge of modern automation and manufacturing techniques including robotics, PLC’s and industry communication protocols.
- Demonstrable experience/knowledge of the process innovation would be a major advantage.
- Demonstrable experience in industrial cyber-physical systems.
- Demonstrable experience in research funding applications.
- Demonstrable research experience in a relevant area or equivalent.
- Prior experience of working in an automated manufacturing environment.
- A doctoral degree (level 10 NFQ) in telecommunications, networking, automation and control Systems, computer or electronic engineering, computer or data science, or equivalent discipline.
- Ability to deliver on research in Wireless Manufacturing Systems.
- Demonstrable computer programming Skills e.g. C, C#, Java or equivalent.
- Ability to supervise other researchers.
- Evidence of working in teams/good team working ability.
- Ability to liaise and collaborate with other researchers in the University and industrial clients.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to engage with the public e.g. presentations, summer camps, workshops.
EURAXESS offer ID: 464740
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.